Here is what the dress looked like before I started. If you are one of those people that like vintage dresses to stay original than look away now! Lol.
I have a special event coming up in a few weeks and this dress will be perfect for it. However the dress was at least two sizes too small and would need a complete gothic overhaul. I always like to sketch out my design before I start working. Please excuse my terrible drawings!
The first step was to rip out the zipper and cut out the lining. I also chopped the sleeves to elbow length and lowered the neckline to a more flattering line.
I then added a panel of stretch lace and stretch velvet on the back to widen the dress to my size. I'm impressed that I had a velvet in the stash that actually matches pretty well too. Since I used stretch fabrics I can just pull the dress on over my head now. No zipper required.
Next up I added lace trim around the neck and "corset trim" (bridal button loop) down the back. I also added the lace and trim to the sleeves as well creating a really cute finished look.
Finally I added large bell sleeves and more lace trim to all the hems.
The pictures don't really do the dress justice. It turned out really stunning and cost only $40 total including all the lace, velvet, and the original dress. Plus it has major twirl factor. I promise I will take better pictures when I wear it. :)
Edit- I took some better photos outside so the details are a little more visible.