Monday, September 7, 2015

Book Review: Hollow City


Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children was such a great read that I eagerly snapped up the sequel, Hollow City, as soon as it hit the shelves! The first book focused on Jacob who finds himself in a hidden time loop on an island. The loop is filled with peculiar children that have special abilities and gifts. Jacob soon discovers that he was meant to be there with the children to help them with a danger that lurks nearby. I especially love that the story revolves around vintage photos that the author has collected or borrowed from private collections. All the photos are real and the author, Ransom Riggs, creates a complex and riveting story revolving around them. It's a book that you won't be able to put down! 


In the second book, Hollow City, the story of Jacob and the peculiar children continues. The story basically picks up where the first book left off. The second book is even better than the first. The children barely escape with their lives and must set off on a huge adventure to rescue someone very important to them. The children end up in war torn London during the Second World War. Not only is the story very compelling but you also start to really get attached to the characters.  


I highly recommend both the books and it looks like it will be a regular series. The third book is due to come out later this September. I can't wait! 

2 comments:

  1. I really loved the books but I found the second one a bit sad because of the real pictures of dead people and animals.

    I am so jealous of your awesome Goth faery and the Death book end in the background! I really want the Death and Dream bookends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a pretty good eye Laura! Yes that is Sandman and Death in the background. I love the comics!

    As for the pictures, I find them more fascinating than sad. It wasn't that long ago that Post Mortem photography was common place. In some cases it was the only photo that the family had of their loved one. So think of it more as a tribute to someone that was loved enough to have a photo taken. I go to a big antique mart locally and you would be surprised at how many of these photos are still around. Often they have no name or info on them. I love looking at the dresses in them too. It's a peak into another time. I have a friend that has a huge collection of Post Mortem photos.

    ReplyDelete